With each passing year, aging windows increasingly show wear. At first it’s subtle, but time, and more significantly the elements, wears down materials, seals and finishes causing a progressive window failure. It’s difficult to know when replacement windows should be installed, however, it’s very typical for an older home to lose 30 to 40 percent of its energy through leaky, drafty windows and doors.
Waiting to Install A Costly Option
Windows are one of the most important aspects of regulating home temperatures. Today’s energy efficient replacement windows are designed to keep heat in or out of the home depending on the season. If homeowners are putting off replacing older windows to conserve their cash, they are paying more for NOT changing their windows.
Three Ways Homeowners Pay for Waiting to Install Replacement Windows
- Infiltration – Wood sashes shrink in winter and create gaps. Research has shown just a very thin 1/16” gap around a window is like having a hole the size of a brick in your wall.
- Radiation – Heat naturally radiates to cold. In winter, heat goes out. In summer, heat comes in. Radiation through window panes causes at least 21% of total energy loss. The result is furnaces and air conditioners are working overtime, wasting hard earned dollars.
- Conduction – Conduction is thermal energy transferring through the solid materials of the window. Conduction can waste even more energy than infiltration and eat up your energy dollars without remorse.
Reversing An Expensive Trend
Energy efficient replacement windows increase the comfort level in a home. New technology greatly reduces cold drafts, making a home feel warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. In addition, interior surfaces of energy efficient windows stay warmer, helping control harmful condensation.
Replacement windows saving homeowners money by minimizing air leakage and improving thermal performance are important for comfort and energy savings. Industry studies prove heat loss through windows is reduced by up to 500% and energy costs lowered by up to 40%.
When Should I Invest In Replacement Windows?
There is no magic moment in time when new windows need to be installed. But there are clues of which homeowners should take note. Purchase replacement windows when your existing windows –
- Are drafty
- Are difficult to open and close
- Won’t open at all
- Do not provide adequate security for your home and family
- Allow dust and dirt into your home
- Don’t block outside noise
- Appear foggy
- Have excessive condensation or icing on the inside of the window panes
- Cost you time and money in maintenance
- Rattle in the wind
- Require regular painting or refinishing
- Look ugly to you
- Are falling apart or rotting
- Are molding
Another perspective is if your heating and cooling bills continue to rise or if your house always feels too cold in winter or too hot in summer. It’s often just that simple.
Get in Touch
Year-Round Window Installation
A qualified contractor like ClearView can install replacement windows year round. We can prep inside and outside the home before removing the old windows and installing the replacement window to limit heat loss greatly during the process.
The bottom line is new material technology makes for better performing windows. If you have to replace any windows, now is as good a time as any to reduce heating expense and make your home cozy through the winter and cooler in the summer. Contact ClearView Sunrooms & Windows today, or call 608-226-9800 to request a consultation.